Sunday, April 11, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler

I wish I had pictures for this but I didn't make it. My sister made it on Easter, and I wish I had taken pictures while she was working on it in my kitchen!! She is much more of a baker than I am, and she has a knack for seeing a recipe that I would skim over and giving it a try. Strawberry and Rhubarb?? I would read rhubarb and continue searching for a recipe title with "chocolate" in it. :) But this was sooooo delicious and seemed pretty easy. Best of all, it's a Weight Watchers Recipe so its basically GOOD for you. Ok maybe not good for you, but not horrible for you. Also, Rhubarb is in season so its a great time to experiment with this vegetable that is known for its fibrous stalks and sweet-tart like flavor.

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler (with many changes made by Laura!)


  • 2 1/2 cartons of Strawberries (tops off and chopped up)
  • 4 large stalks of Rhubarb, chopped (looks like red celery)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 tbl cornstarch
  • 3 tbl sugar, divided
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 4 tbl butter, cut into small pieces (recipe calls for margarine, but margarine is creepy and disgusting, people. another story for another day)
  • 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
  • 1/4 cup fat free milk
Preheat the oven to 375. Coat an 8X12 pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and cornstarch (when Laura made this at my house I actually didn't have cornstarch because it kind of creeps me out. She used a tablespoon of flour instead, and it worked fine!) Mix well and spoon into the bottom of the 8X12 pan.
To prepare dough, in a large bowl mix flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add the butter, sour cream and milk and use your hands to knead it around in the bowl.
Spoon about 16 individual blobs on top of the fruit mixture. Gently press down to flatten a bit. You are supposed to brush the surface of the dough with an egg wash (1 egg whipped with a touch of water) but Laura forgot to do that and it still tasted perfect. She DIDN'T forget the last most important step, which is to sprinkle the last tablespoon of sugar on top of the dough. :)
Bake about 45 minutes until top is golden brown and cool 15 minutes before serving.


P.S. I know from experience this goes perfectly with a big spoonful of vanilla ice cream (and guess what, Breyers is on sale AGAIN for $1.99 this week at Giant) :)

3 comments:

The Recipe Diva said...

I have a small crop of rhubarb I should have picked by now... this sounds like a great way to use it up!

Mike, Lauren & Lily Peterson said...

I didn't see the breyers yesterday when I went??? but the Giant brand was

The Recipe Diva said...

Having some friends over for dinner tomorrow so I picked my rhubard and I think this will make the perfect dessert!