Friday, January 1, 2010

Trying Again in 2010

I realize I've fallen off the wagon in the past month. Ive been a tad discouraged that my camera STINKS and makes the food I create look bland and not so appetizing when in actuality the dishes are much more appealing in person, I swear!! Well, no more excuses in 2010! You either get bland looking pictures, a picture stolen off the Internet, or no pictures at all, but I'll at least post some recipes!

Part of growing your marriage and family is combining each other's family traditions, as well as creating some new ones in the process that your kids will hopefully carry down to their families one day. I was thinking about that last night as I made tea sandwiches for Kevin and I and some friends we had over. My mom always made tea sandwiches and chocolate fondue on New Years Eve, and it seemed totally natural to be making that for my own family and friends now. A couple years ago Kevin and I started having grilled jumbo shrimp on New Years Eve as well. Then on New Years Day Kevin's family always has Pork and Sauerkraut. This dish is a tribute to Kevin's Grandma Fisher, who made this year after year on New Years Day for the Haddon family. I love that we are keeping her memory alive and teaching our kids a little bit about their great grandparents by recreating this dish on New Years Day.

So here is a hodge-podge of very simple recipes for you!

Tea Sandwiches
(a member of our running club made these particular sandwiches for us last week and I thought they were very yummy)

Wheat Bread, Chive and Onion Cream Cheese, Ham or Turkey
What Bread, Chive and Onion Cream Cheese, Sliced Cucumbers, Smoked Salmon

Spicy Grilled Shrimp

2 pounds of raw, tail on, peeled jumbo shrimp
Place in a shallow pan and cover with
  • Worcestershire sauce (enough to cover top)
  • About half a bottle of "Pick-A-Pepper" sauce (this is key - you can find it in any grocery store)
  • One freshly squeezed lemon
  • About 2 tbl olive oil
  • Freshly grated pepper and Italian seasonings (basil, oregano)
  • Chopped garlic
  • A dash or more of cayenne pepper

Let marinate for at least one hour, skewer, and grill. We also did Scallops this year, which I think are done the best in the simplest form: toss in olive oil and salt and bake for 12 minutes at 425, then broil for 5 minutes on high. Serve your scallops and shrimp with salad, rice, or whatever accompaniment you like!

Pork and Sauerkraut

And finally, what is currently in my crock pot: People this couldn't be easier!
1.5 pounds of Crown Roast Pork Loin. Place in a crock pot with a half cup of water. Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Throw on a bag of sauerkraut and let it cook all day!


Kate and I are about to head out for a nice long run to kick off 2010. Theres nothing better than getting back home around dinner time to realize that the house smells amazing, someone made dinner and its almost ready to eat! (Oh yeah, I did that hours ago in the crock pot...)

Happy New Year to All!! Do you have any New Years Eve or Day meals that are tradition in your family??

No comments: