Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry with Tofu and Green Beans
- preferred oil for stir fry (peanut, pepper, olive, whichever suits you and you have on hand)
- half a yellow or white onion thinly sliced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped (or try ginger paste in refrigerated part of veg section of supermarket for a quick and easy cheat)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped (try Dorot crushed garlic cubes in freezer section at Trader Joes or Harris Teeter for a quick cheat)
- Red Curry Paste (optional)
- 3 cups frozen or fresh green beans
- 6 oz of tofu, blotted dry and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 oz of raw shrimp
- 1/2 cup veg stock (or chicken)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Soy Sauce
- Cilantro or scallions for garnish
Add half a thinly sliced white or yellow onion, a 1 inch piece of chopped gingerroot and 3 cloves of chopped garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of Thai Red Curry Paste (sold at all grocery stores in Asian section and can be stored in fridge - this kicked up the spicy flavor a bit and added a nice red color).
Add 2 to 3 cups of green beans. I used frozen and added them straight from the freezer... not ideal but its what I had so I did it, and hey it worked fine.
Let cook through for a bit stirring often. Add desired amount of raw shrimp. Let turn pink.
Add 1/2 cup of vegetable or chicken stock and 1/4 cup of white wine and cook, stirring, until about half evaporates.
During that time heat a small frying pan with a small amount of oil. When hot, fry tofu. (First blot and cut into one inch cubes). Let"brown" on each side. I just liked to do it separate so it didnt soak up too much liquid in stir fry pan and get heavy.
Once stock/wine reduces, add two tablespoons soy sauce and chopped cilantro. Stir in tofu. Serve over brown rice.
YUM! Kevin worked late and went straight to basketball so this sat on the stove for hours before he got home and ate it... I kept picking and picking all night and he's lucky I saved him any at all!! :)