Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fast

I miss running fast. My friend Dorothy just posted a blog about favorite songs to listen to for motivation while running. I don't like to listen to music much while I'm outside... there's enough going on around me to keep me entertained. However, on the treadmill I like music. I recommended Coldplay - Fix You. Kevin and I used to both love this song for treadmill runs. In fact I think I could play it on repeat for a tempo run. The end of the song - only about a minute - literally makes you want to jump out of your skin and sprint your heart out. I miss running fast!!! I miss sprinting my heart out. Is that weird?? I know I'll probably be "eating" my words (haha) when I can actually do speed workouts again this summer.



Speaking of fast - heres a recipe for my favorite pantry meal. Great to keep these ingredients on hand for a night where there's nothing in the fridge and you need to whip up something fast. Plus everyone in the house eats it - the boys just get jarred plain tomato sauce and Kev and I have the clam sauce. Theres a million and one versions of this out there - here's mine!

Linguini with Clam Sauce

You can see the Italian in me come out here because I have no idea how much I add of anything - a little of this and a little of that. The measurements are approximations. But you can never have too much garlic or wine!

Saute 3 (or more!) cloves chopped garlic in 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil or butter (for a thicker sauce, whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour with butter. Opt for just olive oil to save on calories). Add thinly chopped shallots or onions (about 1 medium). Add 1 turn of the pan worth of white wine (maybe a 1/2 cup?). Bring to a boil and then simmer to let reduce for a bit.

Add 2 cans of chopped clams, drained. Heat through and add salt, basil, oregano, parsley, red chili flakes (optional, but so good!) and remove from heat. Stir in preferred amount of freshly grated parm and serve over hot linguini (or fettucini, or heck even spaghetti if that's what you've got!) pasta.

Sometimes I add chopped bacon (add with garlic and remove with slotted spoon - add back at the end!) or a can of diced tomatoes just to change it up. The beauty of it is - everything in this recipe can be kept in your pantry!! In the summer it's a great dish to use up the abundance of summer herbs too. Enjoy!!

And a picture from my horrible camera that doesnt do the meal any justice...




No comments: