Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Little Yellow

I’ve been feeling like the weather.  Blah.  Since the marathon ended I haven’t had much motivation to be a master juggler.  The role every woman plays.  No need to set my alarm an hour+ earlier to squeeze in a run.  No motivation to be on top of the meal planning and grocery shopping.  No need to keep up with the family blog.  No desire to even wipe the massive amounts of pee that has amassed behind the toilet (if you have little boys, you know what I’m talking about).  I blame it on the weather.  Rainy and chilly just don’t do much to motivate me, but then again maybe God was just giving me a guilt free excuse to chill out.  Maybe a little break from reality is good for the soul.

This morning we woke up to some sunshine.  A little yellow.  After taking almost a month off I’m feeling ready to get back in the swing of things.

I love a recipe that I can make with ingredients I usually always have on hand.  Lemons are one of those things.  I always keep a bag around because a little citrus, a little yellow, can brighten up any marinade, side dish, or soup!

Simple Lemon Chicken with Broccoli
(recipe found via Katy Hayes on Pinterest… I made a few changes to speed up the process because I didn’t get my act together early enough in the day)

5 Drumsticks or Thighs (any cut of chicken is fine, but I wanted to try Drumsticks to see if Superman would think they were cool… he didn’t.  But the rest of the little people did.  To follow recipes directions, marinate the chicken for 2 hours in the next three ingredients)

2 tablespoons melted butter

Rosemary, Thyme, salt and pepper, and fresh garlic

2 lemons, zested as well as their juice

1 head of broccoli


Arrange the drumsticks in a baking dish and preheat the oven to 425.


Zest both lemons onto the chicken.  Contrary to the picture’s depiction, I actually do not have even a little bit of a green thumb.



Squeeze the juice from both lemons all over

Sprinkle with a dash of rosemary and thyme.  Enough to cover the top… it’s not a science.  You can’t really have too much.

Crush and chop three cloves of garlic

Sprinkle on top of the chicken.

Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl.

Drizzle over the chicken.  This will help to get the skin browned and golden and yummy.

In the oven she goes for 50 minutes.


Halfway through, at the 25 minute mark, I added a bag of broccoli.  I tossed it around in the lemony buttery sauce and let it roast under the chicken.


25 minutes and 165 F later and the chicken was goldeny crisp.  A simple but satisfying end to the day, just no picture to prove it.

3 comments:

Laura Villarreal said...

yaaaay hungrymom AND a pinterest recipe! glad you're back!

Christine Bilek said...

this looks delish! The weather sucked the life out of me too! Here's to a sunny day! :)

The Samsons said...

Looks very easy and delicious! Loved the sunny weather today :)