Monday, October 10, 2011

Everybody’s Doing It

Yesterday was one of those days you just want to be outside.  The noises I could hear through my open windows were a few of my favorite suburban sounds… lawn mowers going and kids playing.  Around 10 am I was able to lace up and sneak away for a little run of my own.  I ran out of my neighborhood and into the next “town” over.  I passed no less than 15 runners, 10 walkers, and 200 kids on bikes.  Okay maybe a few less than 200 but I’m probably in the right ballpark.  I had no plans and no expectations to run far or fast, but ended up doing both because it was just one of those perfect days.

I LOVE seeing so many people outside getting their fitness in whatever form.  This time of year, everybody’s doing it.  There is no better time than the fall to get outside and get healthy.  Even better if the good exercise habits we start today stick with us through the cold winter months, when being bundled up in your blankets sounds a lot more appealing than braving the cold for some fitness.  But let me tell you what else sticks with us in the winter.  Apple pie.  Sausage stuffing.  

I hope you get out and savor the perfect weather this week… after all, everybody’s doing it!

Here’s an easy easy easy Fall recipe that EVERYONE can do.  I tried it out in the oven last week but meal planned it for the crock pot this week.    This is one of my new fall faves!!  It was simple, easy to prep in the morning, and I got everyone in the house to eat it!!

Maple Baked Apple Chicken

3 to 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 apples, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup Maple Syrup (or pancake syrup)
1/3 Cup Zesty Italian Dressing



First off, I just put the chicken in a zip lock bag so I could pound it (to make it thin, read: to stretch my dollar farther and make the chicken look bigger)




Add the marinade straight to the bag, 1/3 cup Zesty Italian and 1/2 cup Maple Syrup

Well, that was easy.  Off to the fridge.

By the way this was so easy I could make it in literally 10 minutes before we walked to the bus stop.  Getting dinner ready is way easier with a happy baby around at 6 am then a grumpy one at 6 pm.
 Halve the onion
 Slice

 I do my apples this way because I don’t have a corer.  Slice off the top and bottom…


Then cut into quarters...
Take your knife and slice on a diagonal so that you cut the seeds part out
 See?  Easy

Then lay flat and slice all the apples


In a bag, ready to go for dinner

When dinner time rolled around I arranged the apples and onions in a baking dish, then topped it with the chicken/marinade.  This dish was way too small but I was too lazy to get a new one and wash this one… go for a larger one so that everything can lay flat and cook evenly.  I had to take this out halfway and rotate the chicken and apples so that everything cooked.

Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes.  Halfway through, flip the chicken and toss around the apples and onions a bit to make sure everything is still soaking in that yummy sauce.  



NOTE:  For the crockpot, even easier, just DUMP the 2 bags of apples/onions and chicken marinade into the crockpot and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.  For the crockpot I prefer this recipe with pork tenderloin vs chicken


I served it over white rice because I’m bad like that.





7 comments:

Peyton said...

"But let me tell you what else sticks with us in the winter. Apple pie. Sausage stuffing." hahahahahahahahaha, so true! almost makes me want to run :) looks good, I am going to try it tomorow.

Rebecca Samson said...

Love your last comment about the white rice. Made me chuckle. Headed to the grocery store after naps. This might just be dinner! Thanks again for supplying all my dinner recipes!!

Laura Villarreal said...

white rice, you scoundrel

Anonymous said...

What was the temperature of the oven?

Haddon Family said...

Oops! Forgot the most important part! Bake at 375 for 40-45 min… thanks for catching that!

Missy said...

Karen...this looks so good and I happen to have all the ingredients at home:) I'm going to prepare it tonight and throw it in the crockpot before work so I have something ready for dinner before we meet tommorrow night!

Racingtales - Alison Gittelman said...

Looks delish. Will have to try it. Do you always wear your Garmin when you cook? Does it keep you on pace? ;)