Monday, September 20, 2010

It's About That Time...

Party Time. Now that school has started up and we are barreling toward the holiday season, my calendar is quickly filling up with events from back-to-school spaghetti dinners, to tailgate parties, Halloween events, birthday parties, and everything in between. I'm always looking for a good easy app to bring with me to such events. Even better if most of the ingredients are already in my pantry.

I especially love a good "fake fancy" recipe. These are sophisticated and pretty but take a grand total of 20 minutes from start to finish.

Artichoke Cups

Won Ton Wrappers (these are hiding by the tofu, packaged herbs, and veggie dogs in that small section most grocery stores have tucked away in the produce section)

artichoke hearts and 1/2 lemon (OR canned marinated artichokes)

1 red pepper (OR a jar of pimientos if you want to use pantry ingredients or avoid chopping)

1/2 cup of freshly grated parm (or cheddar if thats what you have... make it work with what you've got)

Recipe calls for a 1/2 cup mayo... I did 1/4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt

small can of sliced black olives

half a red pepper

2 cloves garlic


Preheat the oven to 350 and line a mini muffin tin with the wonton wrappers. If you're taking them straight out of the fridge, microwave them for about 20 seconds so they are more pliable and keep from tearing when you push them down.

Push them in.

What's the difference between a can of artichoke hearts and a jar of marinated ones? About $1.50, and some citrus, olive oil and spices. So I just saved the buck fifty and squeezed some lemon juice on the canned ones instead.

So just finely chop up the red pepp and artichokes (did this in about .2 seconds with my food chopper), add the greek yogurt and mayo, cheese, olives, chopped or pressed garlic, and some salt and pepper for good measure. As long as its not too watery, its good to go.


Scoop into the wonton wrappers and bake for about 13 minutes, or until the won ton wrappers are a little golden. Then pop em out, put them on a pretty plate, and bring them to your next fiesta :)

I made 24 mini ones, but there was enough of the artichoke mixture for 24 more. Instead, I saved it and put it over baked chicken for another night's dinner! Or you can freeze it for another party!
If you don't have a mini-muffin pan, I highly suggest you get one for the holidays! You might be able to get one for free if you enter and win the CSN giveaway. :)

5 comments:

The Samsons said...

so yumm!! thanks for bringing them!

Rebecca Samson said...

I can vouch for this appetizer and say it was delicious!!

Emma B. said...

Hey there! I really like your blog so I decided to give you the "One Lovely Blog Award" :) Please stop by Cheapskate4Life to pick it up (right click to save image) then it is your turn to pass it on to some blogs that you love!

http://cheapskate4life.blogspot.com

Tricia said...

yum, thanks for sharing!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

I want these now!!! :) I need to eat before looking at your blog - it makes me hungry!