Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Scallops with Spinach and Canellini Beans

I like this meal because it looks pretty fancy but its actually incredibly simple. Flavorwise its not mind blowing. I mean... its beans and spinach with salt and pepper basically. And thats what it tastes like. BUT its quite good in a clean and simple way, and if you ARE using this for entertaining you can be sure its safe enough that it won't offend anyone's palate!

The recipe is adapted from Cooking Light with some changes.

Scallops with Spinach and Canellini Beans

Olive Oil
1 pound sea scallops
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken or veggie broth
1 can canellini beans (or other white bean)
1 package baby spinach
2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
freshly grated parm


I would have preferred to sear the scallops but we were playing outside and I realized when I came in I forgot to defrost them!! So I baked these from frozen. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, then bake 15 minutes at 425 followed by 2 to 3 minutes under the broiler on high.

In a pan saute onion, garlic and olive oil. Add white wine, let reduce for a minute, and then add chicken stock (veg stock for veg version) and beans (drained and rinsed), salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
Bring it up to a boil and then add in all of the spinach. Let it cook down for a minute to make room for the basil. Add the chopped basil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let it all cook down

Top with some freshly grated parm. I added a squeeze of lemon too.

Serve in a bowl like soup and top with the scallops. I toasted some yummy multigrain bread to sop up all the juice too!

No comments: