Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pregnant Salmon

I got this recipe out of a Healthy Pregnancy cookbook way back when I was pregnant with Drew. I really liked it and continued to make it over the years, and it has since come to earn the title Pregnant Salmon. I've been making it a lot lately because its super easy and super healthy - rich in folate, vitamin D/C, calcium and iron . Don't worry, I'm pretty sure the recipe won't actually make you pregnant. :)

Whisk together the following ingredients for the marinade for the salmon:
  • 2 tbl soy sauce
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
  • (I think this particular time I added a squeezed orange too because I felt like it)

Preheat the oven to 400*F


Heat 1 tbl peanut oil (I usually use olive oil) until it is very hot. add the salmon and cook for 3 minutes then transfer to the preheated oven and cook for 5 minutes. Allow to stand for 2 to 3 minutes. Preferably, I skip this altogether and hand it off to Kevin to grill :)

To cook the greens, heat peanut oil (again, I use olive oil) until very hot, and add 1 or more cloves of chopped garlic, and a chopped 1 inch piece of gingeroot. Stir fry for a minute, and then add the greens. You can use bok choy, or chinese cabbage. Personally I like to use 1-1/2 to 2 huge bags of spinach. Yes, two!! I love spinach because it cooks down so much. Kevin and I can easily eat 2 bags.


Back to the greens - so stir fry the greens until just wilted and then add 1 tbl of rice wine, and the recipe calls for 1 tsp of sugar. I like to squeeze one orange instead for some natural sweetness. Remove from heat and toss in 2 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil. Serve immediately with a side of brown rice.

This particualar picture was NOT served immediately. I made it before a track workout and ate it when I got home a few hours later. Still yummy :)







1 comment:

Laura Villarreal said...

I am making this tomorrow night for Emily's fam! It better be delicious