Sunday, November 20, 2011

HungrySister Presents: Sausage Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffing Muffins

Like HungryMom said, it's still pumpkin time! I made these 'stuffing muffins' for my work's Iron Chef: Pumpkin competition and I liked them so much I'm bringing them home for Thanksgiving. I adapted this RealSimple recipe to make these single serving muffins and they are really ADDICTING. Hot or cold, I couldn't get enough - and I hope you feel the same way!

You'll need:

3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
2 jalapenos, minced (with seeds)
2 or 3 stalks of celery, chopped (not pictured)
One small onion, diced
12 corn muffins or two 8.5-oz corn-bread mixes, prepared and crumbled (10 cups). (You'll see that I just bought 4 large cornbread muffins because I forgot how many I needed, and it was fine! I also made this with 8 muffins instead of 4 once…it was still good. You really can't mess it up)
One 15 oz can pumpkin
One 14 oz can chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh sage or 1 heaping tbsp dried sage (I used two or three because I love sage :) )


Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Chop up the onion, celery, and jalapeno and saute in a large skillet for 5 minutes or so. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink. (I failed to take a picture of the sausage)


While your skillet is a-sizzlin crumble up your cornbread muffins. I thought this was a nice before and after shot!


Add cornbread to the pan once the sausage is cooked. Fold in the pumpkin, broth, cranberries, and sage. (I was pretty bad at taking pictures of all the steps! How does HM do it?)


Next, add heaping spoonfuls of this delicious concoction into a greased muffin tin. Pop in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until set (aka bake them until you can scoop them out of the muffin tin all in one piece).


If you can manage it, let the muffins cool. If you can't handle it, eat 2 or 3 immediately.
 

When I first sent HungryMom a picture of these she said "I can't decide if they look awesome or gross."


Whether you think they look awesome or gross, I promise you they taste amazing!!!

No comments: