Monday, August 22, 2011

Bring it On, Fall.

A few months ago, signing up for a marathon on September 11th seemed like a genius idea.  Two things appealed to me most.  First off, the Allentown marathon is exactly one day before registration opens for Boston.  One. Day.  This is completely reflective of my procrastinating nature.  I like a deadline to really get me working hard (read: stressing out). 

Second, I liked the idea of being done with marathon training in the very early fall.  In years past, I have a memory of being OVER trying to squeeze in long runs into an already jam-packed fall calendar. 

Well, all of that made sense on paper, but the reality of the situation is that the September 11 deadline is quickly barreling toward me and doubt is creeping in.  Am I a crazy person?  Can I qualify for Boston?  Did I train hard enough?  Is it going to be way too hot out?  

I have one 20 miler left on the schedule and then it’s taper time.  I’ve pretty much done as much as I can up until this point, so all I can do now is pray for confidence, and for cooler fall temps in the next two weeks!  

Although it may have been 90 degrees last week, I was willing in fall with this quick and easy stew.  Loved that there was something that everyone in my family would eat out of this meal!  You could EASILY adapt this to crock pot, just throw it all in and let it simmer all day long.

Pintos and Kielbasa

1 package of kielbasa (I used the whole package, but use as much as you want!  I’d double in the crockpot)
1 can of Pinto Beans
1 can of Northern Beans
1 can of Rotel (tomatoes and green chiles)
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of stewed tomatoes, chopped up
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
couple cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of chili powder
Optional (and recommended) 2 tablespoons of curry powder







Add some olive oil to a skillet and saute the veggies (green pep, onion, garlic)



While that is sauteeing, slice the kielbasa.  My kids LOVE kielbasa (cause its basically a glorified hot dog) so I knew this meal would be a winner.

Stir in all the cans of tomatoey things


Wash and drain the beans

Add them in, bring to a slow boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes or so to let flavors meld.

Season with salt, pepper, and chili powder.

I served it with some bread.  Pretty easy!

After I served the kids their portions I added curry powder because I can’t leave well enough alone, and it was SUCH a crucial addition.  It’s fine without it, if you’re not down with those flavors, but if you want more of a kick try that out!


5 comments:

Laura Villarreal said...

I'm so down with those flavors. You are a running machine!

Rebecca Samson said...

This looks like a yummy dish and... you are going to do amazing on September 11th! There's no doubt in my mind. You've trained so hard. All the pieces will come together. I can't wait to hear about your Boston qualifying story!!

LoloMyDear said...

How much kielbasa do you use? It's not on the ingredients list. A whole package? Or just as much as you want?

Haddon Family said...

sorry lolo - the whole package!

The Samsons said...

Looks wonderful! I've never tried kielbasa, and I'm glad you posted a picture of the package so I knew what to look for! You are going to rock the marathon Sept 11th!!! :)